Meeting with a Student

>> Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Yesterday a fourth grader came into my office requesting "a time to meet with me."  So we sat down today and she took out her list!   I offered her some tea which she gladly accepted.


She had a lot of ideas for how to work with "boy energy" which included opening the basketball court a couple of days per week and starting a competitive soccer team, which led to a discussion of a school team mascot and school colors.  This student also had ideas surrounding "some ideas for girls",  which had mostly to do with dance and theatre.  I took careful notes and told her I would consider these good ideas and she could help me by considering a school mascot and school colors.  We agreed to meet again.  

I thanked her for coming in and informed her that while lots of students visit me in my office,  she was the first student who had actually the forethought to make an appointment.   I encouraged her to let her friends  know of this opportunity to meet with me.

I loved that this student took the initiative to affect change in her surroundings.  Certainly feeling empowered in your world is an essential part of our school.  And the other half of this is being empowered in our ability to work with whatever arises in our experience, and this is  where contemplative practice comes in.  It is summed up beautifully in a slogan that returns to me time and time again:

"Engage in virtuous activity as much as you can, and rest naturally in whatever arises."


Steven



1 comments:

imfrank November 18, 2008 at 10:25 PM  

Steven,

I thought I would take this opportunity to be the first "commentor" on your new blog ... this is a great story you have posted today - wouldn't it be great if this was the start of ESA's "student union". Thanks for keeping this blog for all of us to enjoy and participate in.
Rich Frankenyouknowtherest

Email Subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz

Your email address: Powered by FeedBlitz

Academics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

  © Blogger template Joy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP